Matterport unveils ‘breakthrough’ in 3D capture
The company behind some of the most advanced digital twin technology in real estate has released a powerful new camera and a software update.
Matterport said its Pro3 camera and cloud platform can create “some of the world’s most accurate, immersive and stunning digital twins.”
The camera has a custom 20-megapixel sensor and an ultra-wide angle lens to create detailed digital versions of both indoor and outdoor space.
Matterport said that breakthroughs in the high-precision LiDAR sensor allows the camera to capture millions of measurements up to a range of 100 metres in both dim light and direct sunlight.
Matterport Pro3 Camera at a glance
- Custom built 20-megapixel sensor and 12-element lens for ultra-wide capture of large spaces
- Captures 100k points per second at depths ranging from 0.5m to 100m
- High-precision LiDAR sensor for “unparalleled” precision in various light conditions
- Camera boot time of less than 40 seconds
- Removable battery packs for continuous scanning, batteries fully recharge in 3.5 hours
- Weighing under five pounds, Pro3 is 30% smaller and 35% lighter than the Pro2 camera
- New tripod mount engineered for Pro3 and new cases for maximum portability and protection
New digital twins can be streamed on demand as the user moves through a space, while the company promises faster load times, quicker frame rates and more detail.
Lou Marzano, VP of R&D and manufacturing at Matterport, said: “The Pro3 camera reflects years of advanced R&D and listening closely to our customers. The result is a breakthrough in 3D capture technology.”
He added that the industry’s digitisation has pushed Matterport to reach new standards of precision, range and mobility.
Alongside the Pro3 camera, Matterport has also updated its software to make working with digital twins easier.
- Views: a new workgroup collaboration tool that helps groups and large organisations manage different tasks with different teams
- Guided tours and tags: allows marketing teams to create directed virtual tours tailored to the interests of their visitors
- Matterport Capture Services: updated service to get the highest quality professional digital twin from an on-demand capture technician in major cities around the world
- Matterport app: a fully-enabled mobile app that brings together capture, customisation, view, edit, publish and restore capabilities
Why digital twins?
In its announcement of the new products, Matterport said it saw 52% growth in total subscribers in the second quarter, compared to the same period last year.
Pointing to a survey by Capgemini Research Institute, the company said that 79% of business leaders cite cost savings and 71% cite operational efficiencies as key drivers for digital twin investment.
According to Matterport, customers from a range of sectors – including factories, retailers, hotels and airlines – have reported that digital twins reduce project times by 30% and cut travel expenses by up to 50% thanks to greater remote collaboration.
In the hospitality sector, properties with digital twins have seen occupancy rates rise 14%.
More on Matterport
Matterport Axis motorised phone mount to ship in April