LISTEN | Measurabl CEO’s reasons to be optimistic about property + climate
One of the leading players in ESG data for real estate globally, Matt Ellis was director of sustainability solutions at CBRE before he set up Measurabl in 2013.
Today Mesaurabl employs 200 staff providing ESG data on more than 13bn sq ft of commercial real estate across 90 countries.
He is also a fine writer and his ‘From Green to ESG’ book sets a compelling argument for transparency in markets and casts doubt on the objectivity of green building certificates.
He sat down with Paul Unger to look beyond the doom and gloom that often surrounds climate crisis conversations and to focus instead on reasons to be cheerful.
- Corporate real estate is now embracing sustainability and the wider ESG as business priorities
- Climate legislation is finally arriving to incentivise companies to adopt green energy measures – but does it go far enough on carbon tax
- Climate tech = jobs, jobs, jobs. The way the industry works is being transformed and buildings will be procured in totally different ways in future, starting now
- Small and medium property companies face a ‘data competency’ vacuum they need to address, this is a struggle without extra resource to upskill management
- Large property holders are decarbonizing their estates and looking for solutions that are ready to plug into, this is a rapidly maturing marketplace and established suppliers are preferred, new entrants will be left behind