MIPIM rescheduled to June as coronavirus spreads
Following days of speculation about whether the annual property convention in Cannes would go ahead as planned, organisers have postponed MIPIM to 2-5 June.
The French government on Saturday put a temporary ban on public indoor gatherings of more than 5,000 people due to the coronavirus outbreak. More than 100 people have contracted the virus and two people have died in France. Reed MIDEM expected around 27,000 people to attend the show from 10-13 March.
Towards the end of last week, attendee companies starting with Cushman & Wakefield said they were withdrawing from the show to protect staff and limit the spread of the virus. Other business shows have already been cancelled or pushed back later in the year including Geneva Motor Show and ITB travel trade show in Berlin, which was due to begin on Wednesday.
In a statement on Saturday Reed MIDEM chief executive, Paul Zilk said: “The wellbeing of our clients and staff is our priority. Given the evolving context, the best course of action is to postpone MIPIM to June.”
Zilk added: “This is not a decision we have taken lightly. We believe these new dates will provide the international MIPIM community with the opportunity to achieve their business objectives. We are grateful to our clients for their support and constructive input during this challenging period, and we look forward to talking with them in the coming days about MIPIM in June.”
Reed MIDEM added in its statement on Saturday: “We will be communicating regularly with the MIPIM community to provide details of MIPIM in June.”