How Colliers aims to solve ESG reporting challenge
Global real estate adviser Colliers has entered a strategic partnership with ESG data management business Measurabl to help clients navigate the “mounting complexity” around sustainability.
Measurabl aggregates “accurate and auditable ESG data”, which Colliers said will help its clients better manage, measure, disclose and act on their portfolios’ performance and hit sustainability targets.
Features include automated utility data collection, building and portfolio performance benchmarking and advanced reporting functionality.
Ben Liao, head of Colliers Innovation, said: “This partnership strengthens Colliers’ position to solve our clients’ sustainability pain points and navigate the mounting complexity from regulations and climate targets.”
Buildings managed by Colliers in eight countries across the America, EMEA and Asia Pacific will be synced with Measurabl as part of the initial launch.
What is Measurabl?
Created by Matt Ellis, former director of Sustainability Solutions at CBRE, Measurabl is used across 10 billion sq ft of commercial space in 80 countries. The software automatically collects data from disparate sources, allowing users to manage it all in one place.
Measurabl’s clients include CBRE, Prologis, Brookfield and SEGRO.
The platform advertises nine key features:
- Automated utility data collection and verification: Measurabl gathers meter-level electricity, water, fuel and waste data
- Physical climate risk: with integrated global physical climate risk data, users can assess exposure to heat stress, flooding and other factors at an asset level
- Carbon emissions calculations: the software can automatically calculate Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions to determine individual building performance
- Cohort insights: users can compare building- and portfolio-level ESG performance to about 55,000 buildings in Measurabl’s database
- ESG disclosure: built-in reporting modules to help disclosing to ESG benchmarks like GRESB and CDP
- Sustainable building management: ability to view and renew green building certifications (LEED, BREEAM, etc.) and manage asset-level projects, audits and ratings
- Document repository: users can track their ESG policies and procedures alongside environmental data in the Measurabl platform
- Target setting: users can set and track progress towards environmental goals
- Building trend analysis: Measurabl can visualise and track trends across several metrics – energy and water consumption, waste outputs, carbon emissions – and compare performance against other factors
To date, Measurabl has raised $29.6m in funding, most recently in an $18.3m Series B round led by Sway Ventures in January 2019.
At the time, Ellis said: “We’re heading towards a convergence where ESG indicators are held in comparable esteem to traditional financial metrics.”
Major players in property have echoed that statement when they have adopted Measurabl’s platform. Colliers highlighted the opportunity to “take guesswork out of the picture” when discussing corporate responsibility.
Karen Whitt, president of real estate management services at Colliers in the US, said: “We are using those metrics to establish benchmarks that immediately communicate an asset’s performance and make effective plans for improvement.
“The rapid data processing makes it easy to quickly identify trends and achieve meaningful progress towards our clients’ ESG targets.”
Commenting on the partnership between Colliers and Measurabl, Ellis added: “This category-defining partnership between Colliers and Measurabl means organisations around the world now have the best of both technology and services to accomplish their ESG ambitions.”