US-based Borealis Ventures has launched Building Ventures, an early-stage investor committed to innovation in the built world.
The new initiative is co-founded by Borealis Ventures’ Jesse Devitte and Travis Connors, along with investor Phil Ferneau.
With offices in Boston and San Francisco, Building Ventures will focus on funding breakthrough companies from around the world that will propel the built environment forward to a more sustainable future.
Over the past year, the team has accelerated its investment in proptech solutions, including:
- Smartvid.io – Artificial Intelligence for construction, with customers including Skanska and Arup
- Blokable – smart modular home design and delivery, based out of Seattle
- Measurabl – a commercial property sustainability platform, started by CBRE’s former director of sustainability, Matt Ellis
- Dandelion Energy – residential geothermal heating and cooling as a service
- Assemble Systems – provider of BIM construction software
The new Building Ventures division will continue to build on and identify new investment opportunities.
Travis Connors, co-founder of Building Ventures, said: “We are only at the beginning phase of seeing builders and owners tap into the transformational power of technology to operate more efficiently, effectively, productively and sustainably. By investing and mentoring built technology startups, Building Ventures seeks to enable these companies to scale rapidly and confidently, capitalise on the industry’s potential and help make the potential future of the built world a reality.”
Jesse Devitte, fellow founder of Building Ventures, added: “Travis and I recognised the perfect fusion of opportunity and timing with the industrialisation of construction, the deployment of space as a service and the promise of smart buildings to deliver a better built world. Building Ventures’ mission is to solely focus on funding disruptive ideas in the built environment to help create a better world.”