About The Collective:
At The Collective we are redefining the way people live in cities across the world through a customer-centric approach to developing, designing and operating buildings, and an insatiable ambition to positively impact people’s lives at a meaningful scale.
Founded in 2010 by our CEO Reza Merchant with a £1600 overdraft, we initially offered 4 to 6 bedroom house shares and have since worked our way up to successfully developing and launching the world’s largest co-living community in May 2016, The Collective Old Oak. For our members, we offer much more than just a roof over their heads. We offer an environment and platform where people can connect with like-minded people and continuously develop, grow and get inspired through the experience we provide.
In the last 18 months, we’ve transitioned into a global business, with offices and upcoming projects in the US and Germany, providing a total of 5,500 co-living units under development. In order to fund this growth, we’ve raised over £500 million in capital, and our gross assets are now valued at in excess of £1 billion.
We’re looking for highly motivated, switched on and down to earth individuals that are willing to roll up their sleeves and do whatever it takes to be the best in their field, challenge the status quo and deliver high-quality results.
About the role:
The Collective believes that technology is a vital ingredient in the success of our business and we aim to capitalise on the full potential that current and emerging digital technologies can offer us and our members. We have invested heavily in growing our own in-house technology team with the purpose and vision to push the boundaries of what is possible in our sector and differentiate us from the competition.
We’re currently going through an exciting phase of growth towards a model of multi-disciplined digital product teams aligned under business verticals, heavily influenced by the agile way of tribes and squads made famous by Spotify.
As Head of Engineering, you will elevate the level of planning, architectural and engineering maturity behind the delivery of both our current and future digital products. Supporting squads across the business you will provide guidance on the best use of technology to match their needs and align these to a broader platform vision, helping to assess technology and vendor choices, influence key architectural design decisions, hire the best engineering talent, drive agile ways of working and provide coaching and mentoring to the team.
- Build and manage a best-in-class team of 10-15 highly motivated back-end, front-end and mobile engineers and QA engineers
- Work closely with product management to define best-in-class technical and product roadmaps and ensure timely delivery of high-quality, secure software
- Form an architectural approach that provides the basis for our platform of current and future digital products, whilst balancing near-term milestones with long-term vision
- Evaluate how all our digital products could be pivoted to a SaaS model
- Define a support strategy to meet the business needs, building out DevOps capability and support teams as appropriate for the scale of the products
- Lead coaching, mentoring, career development and hiring across the team
- Promote clean, testable and maintainable code that is modular and scalable
- Continually innovate and optimise our technology, people and performance
We’re looking for someone who is not afraid to take on a challenge and manage a variety of tasks in all shapes and sizes. The successful candidate will be excited to learn and grow within a disruptive market.
We are looking for:
- 3+ years experience in a relevant technology leadership role
- Built and shipped at least 2 significant software products
- Excellent communicator at all levels of stakeholder
- Detailed understanding of software methodologies including agile and kanban
- Awareness and understanding of emerging and innovative technologies
- Experience in any or all of Proptech/Fintech/B2B/SaaS/White label products would be an advantage but is not essential
- High EQ and AQ (adaptability quotient)
Whilst this isn’t a hands-on role, you should have strong development experience, ideally in some of the tools and technologies that we currently use:
- AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku
- Python, Django, React, React Native, Node
- Codeship, Sentry, CircleCI, Celery
- 25 days’ holiday
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Travel – there is an opportunity to travel abroad, we actively encourage nomadic trips for research purposes within the company (and for some fun)
- Opportunities for personal development
- Monday morning breakfast together as a team
- Flexible working on Wednesdays
- Weekly yoga classes
- Regular company events and social gatherings
- The chance to be part of an exciting and growing company!
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org